Re: [dnso.discuss] Re: Complaint to Dept of Commerce on abuse of users by ICANN

2000-08-01 17:10:02
Fred Baker wrote:

This is an ad hominem statement. Ad hominem attacks have no place on an
engineering list. If you dislike Mr. Bush or have an issue with the work he
does, take that up with him in private.

As a matter of fact, Mr. Baker, I was replying to an email that Mr.
Bush sent to a series of email addresses that included that of the
IETF. His message was full of ad hominem attacks on others, so I am
justified in using the same against him. Did you take him to task
for his ad hominem attacks, in his original message? If not, why do
you do so with me?

If you have a comment regarding the
engineering of the Internet, make it. If you have a comment regarding
ICANN, not only does DoC NTIA not run ICANN, the IETF doesn't run
ICANN either.

Well, in the first place, I don't take orders from you, Mr. Baker.
So you can take your strident orders to me and put them where they
fit best.

Secondly, as I said above, I was replying to a post of Mr. Bush. His
was no less, and perhaps no more, concerned with engineering than
mine. Did you ask him to cease sending non-engineering posts to your
precious list? If not, why do you do so with me?

Thirdly, you are obviously mistaken about ICANN. DOC NTIA does run
it, since ICANN has no power or authority whatsoever beyond the
contracts that DOC NTIA has signed with it. ICANN is, both de facto
and de jure, a sub-contractor of the DOC, and so has it been judged
by the GAO and the courts.

You notice that I have managed to not spam the world with my CC line.

That is only because you are embarrassed for the world to see what
you have written.

Michael Sondow
   "We need to be able to judge which is more important - the
   images on the screen, the mechanisms that produce them, or
   the world that they are striving to represent."
                   --Oscar Kenshur, 'The Allure of the Hybrid'
      INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS OF INDEPENDENT INTERNET USERS
   http://www.iciiu.org        (ICIIU)        iciiu(_at_)iciiu(_dot_)org
Tel(718)846-7482                                Fax(603)754-8927