Re: Addresses and ports and taxes -- oh my!

2000-08-04 07:10:04

Dennis Glatting wrote:

On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, Keith Moore wrote:

        [snip]

burning IP addresses into devices is a good way to give vendors the
ability to control those devices, monitor their usage, and to lock
their customers in to particular services.  not my idea of a desirable
state.

It might also be a good way for script kiddies to efficiently scan the
Internet looking for a particular manufacturer's device to exploit a
discovered security flaw, such as turning off a stove's gas pilot and
turning on all burners. If that doesn't sound realistic, how about a
cracker inside a manufacturer's systems doing the same; or how about a
terrorist?

Though if the devices already use ethernet, then each device would
already
have its own MAC address, and the IP address would be DHCP assignable.
As
stated earlier once firewall/routers/DHCP server combos come down in
price,
preferbly below $200, you will probably see these devices as becoming
standard.
These devices would provide a level of intrusion security and would be
able
to assign address to the devices in the home, as is already done in most
LANs.

Andre