Re: Addresses and ports and taxes -- oh my!

2000-08-03 13:10:02

Such a product is available already, check out :

www.maxgate.net/product_3200.htm

I believe the device does use NAT ( :-< ) but there are other devices in the
family, that do IPSEC. I am still waiting for mine to be delivered, sorry if I
am a little wooly about it, I haven't had chance to play with it yet, but it
looks promising.

At the moment the cost is about $300 USD, but as Andre points out the price will
drop eventually. Also I had believed that IPv6 had enough addresses for every
person on planet Earth and then some.

But here is an intresting question,

Would the address be assigned to a person or a property, on the basis that if
the person moved would the address go with them or stay with the house ?

What happened if the house was destroyed or the person died, would the address
be returned to the registry, from where it was issued, to be re-allocated to a
new property or person ?

Will we eventually get to the point where we are all as unique as our IPv6
addresses, and new born children are assigned an address automatically, when
they are born ?

Maybe george orwell and aldous huxley got it right ;->

Jim

This is my personal opinion only and does not represent the technical direction
of 3Com or any subsidury.

Andre-John Mas <ajmas(_at_)uforce(_dot_)com> on 03/08/2000 15:41:52

Sent by:  Andre-John Mas <ajmas(_at_)uforce(_dot_)com>