RE: Addresses and ports and taxes -- oh my!

2000-08-03 18:20:03
At 12:57 PM -0400 8/3/00, Book, Robert wrote:
Vinton's idea has much merit. A scheme to allocate blocks of addresses to
manufacturers would be much easier to support than an organization
attempting to process individual email requests, or CGI scripted forms from

Good grief! This is the worst possible solution. We are allocating *addresses*, not serial numbers.

a webpage, or a world-wide DHCP server for Amana ( and one for Maytag, etc.)

I presume that you assume that all Amana appliances will be in the same topological part of the network and all Maytag appliances will be a different part of the topology.

How do you suppose route aggregation will work with such an approach?

to register a refrigerator. And easier administration should translate into
lower cost...... :-) My apologies in advance for polluting the IETF announce
list. Btw, did we ever find out how many people were on that elevator? :-)

John Day