Re: Addresses and ports and taxes -- oh my!

2000-08-04 11:10:03
At 8:49 AM +0200 8/4/00, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
Not relevant.  IPv6 will be exhausted by overly-generous allocation of
address space, just like IPv4.  I've already explained in the past why this
must be so.  In part, it comes from the subjective impression that any new
address space is "more than we'll ever need" and the tendency to
overallocate in consequence, until it's too late; this is probably the most
common engineering mistake in IT history.  Another reason why IPv6 is not
nearly as large as it appears to be is that IP addresses are closely linked
to routing, instead of being randomly assigned; and this routing imposes
severe restrictions on how the address space can be used.  Both issues are
routinely and completely overlooked,...

They have not been overlooked by those who have been working on IPv6
address allocation policy.

Steve