Re: Addresses and ports and taxes -- oh my!

2000-08-03 18:50:03
On Thu, 03 Aug 2000 12:57:49 EDT, "Book, Robert"
<Robert(_dot_)BookIII(_at_)cwusa(_dot_)com>  said:
Vinton's idea has much merit. A scheme to allocate blocks of addresses to
manufacturers would be much easier to support than an organization
attempting to process individual email requests, or CGI scripted forms from
a webpage, or a world-wide DHCP server for Amana ( and one for Maytag, etc.)
to register a refrigerator. And easier administration should translate into

You don't want to assign network addresses on a per-manufacturer basis.
Network addresses have to be aggregable.

That's why we have ARP because MAC addresses on an Ehternet are assigned
per manufacturer.  But that's OK, because IPv6 has ARP ;)
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst