Re: Addresses and ports and taxes -- oh my!

2000-08-04 09:10:03
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns?= Nilsson <mansaxel(_at_)nic-se(_dot_)se>

good point... but I do wonder how the border edge
router will handle a datagram with
TTL approx > 240 sec's
( i.e min time required for msg to pass between earth <=> mars) ?
what about jitters, latency ,dropped packets, icmpv6 err msg.... well
whatever....

Well, back to UUCP, then :-) *nearly just kidding*

Which of the UUCP protocols would tolerate such RTT's?
Don't you remember why Telebit had to add "UUCP spoofing"?
The g protocol had a pretty small maximum sized window.
of course e and t don't count since they assume a loss-free wire.

TCP with large windows already works where UUCP never did.

That's not to disagree with the notion the UUCP has a lot to recommend
itself even today, or that you couldn't make a new and different UUCP
protocol that would tolerate the RTT to Pluto.