Re: Reg MIB Augments

2000-08-08 09:10:05
Hi -

Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 11:58:28 +0530
From: "Shaik Yunus Saleem" <shaik(_dot_)yunus(_at_)wipro(_dot_)com>
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Reg MIB Augments
   when i  augment  an existing mib with a new one, should a walk
issued  on the old mib traverse to the new mib ?? This makes sense if
the two tables are in the same node ie next in lexicographic order.But
if these two tables are apart ,should a walk traverse into the new mib?

No, unless access control (e.g. RFC 2575) or RFC 2576 clause
4.1.2.1  has caused all the intervening stuff to be skipped.

In this case the OID's change and order is no more lexicographic.
      Can  we augment  a scalar table ie system table with another
scalar table??

It sounds like there's some confusion between "group" and
"table".  See RFC 2578 clause 7.8 for the conditions where
AUGMENTS makes sense.

For further discussion on this topic, I suggest using the
snmpv3(_at_)lists(_dot_)tislabs(_dot_)com or the
mibs(_at_)ops(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing
lists.

 Randy Presuhn           randy_presuhn(_at_)bmc(_dot_)com
 Voice: +1 408 546-1006  BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141
 Fax:   +1 408 965-0359  2141 North First Street
 http://www.bmc.com/     San José, California 95131  USA
 My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.