SIP for Networked Appliances

2000-08-14 11:50:02
Since my presentation during the SIP WG meeting at the Pittsburgh IETF on "SIP for Networked Appliances" there has been a lot of discussion on this topic on the SIP mailing list. Per Brian Rosen's (one of the SIP WG chairs) suggestion (see e-mail below), we have created a mailing list expressly for the discussion of this topic. The list is appliances(_at_)research(_dot_)telcordia(_dot_)com and you can subscribe by sending an e-mail to appliances-request(_at_)research(_dot_)telcordia(_dot_)com with the word "subscribe" in the *Subject* line of the e-mail.

We have also created an accompanying web page at http://www.research.telcordia.com/iapp/

The (initial) plan for the new networked appliances mailing list is to continue the discussion begun on this mailing list regarding the use of SIP for networked appliances. We plan to request a BoF at the San Diego IETF and submit several more Internet Drafts on this subject.

We welcome everyone to participate.

Thanks,
-Stan

Stan Moyer
Director, Internet Services Infrastructure Research
<stanm(_at_)research(_dot_)telcordia(_dot_)com>; Telcordia Technologies,
MCC-1A238R, 445 South Street, Morristown, NJ 07960-6438
voice: +1 973 829 4923; fax: +1 973 829 5889
http://www.argreenhouse.com/bios/stanm/

From: "Rosen, Brian" <Brian(_dot_)Rosen(_at_)marconi(_dot_)com>
To: sip(_at_)lists(_dot_)bell-labs(_dot_)com
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 15:14:53 -0400
Subject: [SIP] SIP for Appliances

The discussion on SIP for appliances has been fascinating,
and many good points have been raised.  Use of SIP to CONTROL
appliances may or may not be the greatest thing since sliced
bread, but, unfortunately, falls outside of the SIP working
group charter:
"SIP is a text-based protocol, similar to HTTP and SMTP, for
initiating interactive communication sessions between users.
Such sessions include voice, video, chat, interactive games,
and virtual reality."

We encourage the authors of the draft to create a mailing list
for the subject.  They will be welcome to post an announcement
of such a list on the main SIP list.  If the discussion proves as
lively as it has been, you may consider asking for a BOF at the
next IETF meeting.

Since we have a ton of work to accomplish that falls within the
charter of the SIP WG, the chairs would like to cut off discussion
of this subject on the SIP list.

We do not wish to curtail sip discussions that focus on devices
that facilitate multimedia communications between users
(such as dedicated IP phones, kitchen-counter mail/web/sip boxes,
set-top-boxes, and so on). These are within scope, and are encouraged.

Brian Rosen
Joerg Ott
Dean Willis