Re: more on IPv6 address space exhaustion

2000-08-14 12:10:02

Sorry, this makes no sense at all. There is no way to "restrict"
certain types of domain name that has any meaningful effect, given the
absence of international jurisdiction, and IP addresses
relate to network topology not to content, so they can't be used
in this way, whatever misapprehensions some of the commission members may
be under.

I think anyone who understands why an address is not a name understands why this is a bad idea. However, the people who are making these noises do not have this understanding. This is political and imposing technology on it is difficult. While this may resemble legislating that pi = 22/7, it is going to be much more difficult to explain that it is.

While I agree that this is really dumb, I think we need to take it very seriously and not just brush it off. Those who are in a position to have influence (and you know who you are) should move quickly to nip this in the bud. The longer it takes to do so, the longer (and more effort) it will take to kill it off. It will assume a life of its own and more and more people will have to be convinced that it can't be done. And the more time it is going to take to kill it off. If there is some local organization in CA that is pushing this, it could be dealt with fairly easily. But if someone gets journalists or legislators behind it, it is going to be much harder.

I *thought* this had been killed off over a year ago, when it came up on this list. But apparently not.

Take care,
John