Re: more on IPv6 address space exhaustion

2000-08-11 22:20:02
    > From: Greg Skinner <gds(_at_)best(_dot_)com>

    > the last report I heard featured an interview with Don Telage of NSI.
    > Apparently, the commission had considered doing this "zoning" based
    > on TLDs, but now they're looking at IPv6 address space.

Oh, goody.

No doubt all *sorts* of people would want to use such a mechanism. In
addition to various countries which implement absolute controls on what
information their citizens can see, think of all the others who will find
this mechanism appealing.

The RIAA and their ilk will want all those foreign sites that are hosting
DeCSS and Gnutella and all that sort of stuff placed in a class so that
people here in the US can be prevented from gaining access to them.

And of course the French and German governments will want a special class
for sites that have Nazi memorabilia.

Etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

The mind simply reels when one considers all the possibilies.

One hopes that ICANN will realize that opening *this* stack of TNT will get
them mixed up in something that will make the entire domain-names
controversy to date look like a wet match.

        Noel

PS: One wonders about the wattage level of the people on the commision,
but I digress.