Standard Track dependencies on Informational RFCs

2000-08-30 12:20:02
As part of the LDAPbis BOF effort, I have gone through
the RFCs defining LDAPv3 (RFC2251-56,2829-31) to identify
normative references.  To my surprise, I found a number
of clearly normative references to Informational RFCs.
Per RFC 2026 maturity requirements for Standard Track
specifications, these should have been caught prior to
acceptance of the referring Proposed Standard and must
be fixed before the specifications can be progressed.

I post to ietf-discuss because two of the referenced
Informational RFCs, RFC 1321 (MD5) and RFC 2104 (HMAC),
are also normative references for numerous other
Standard Track protocols.

Are there Standard Track specifications available for
MD5 and HMAC?  At Draft Standard maturity or better?
If not, would it be appropriate to submit a request
to the IESG to consider reissuing the specifications
detailed by RFC 1321 and RFC 2104 on the Standard Track?

Comments?  Suggestions?

Kurt

PS: I've blind-cc'ed the ietf-ldapbis list to direct
those interested to this discussion.  For other
ietf-ldapbis'ers, I'll provide a summary of this
thread.