Re: Standard Track dependencies on Informational RFCs

2000-08-30 15:40:02
Normative references to stable non-standards track documents
are indeed allowed when those documents are of the nature of
algorithm descriptions, mathematical theorems, and the like -

there is no such topic-based dispensation in 2026 - the section that Brian
referres to needs to be read in conjunction with sec 4.2.4 pp 2

there is little issue with referring to standards from elsewhere
(see sec 7) even if the standard is published as an info rfc but
just because somone says that a info RFC has a particular type of
content does not mean that it gets any special treatment

this is not to say that we do not need to figure out how to
deal with this type of case but I do not agree that Brian's way is legit

Scott