Re: Quality task force on web sites

2000-09-06 20:00:02

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Jon Crowcroft wrote:

In message
<Pine(_dot_)SOL(_dot_)4(_dot_)05(_dot_)10009050848080(_dot_)19012-100000(_at_)thomas(_dot_)eng(_dot_)uci(_dot_)edu>,
 Maha
devan Iyer typed:

 >>On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Barathy, RamaSubramaniam wrote:
 >>
 >>> Hello Everybody,
 >>>
 >>> Would it not be nice to have some sort of quality control task force that
 >>> assigns a quality level for the web sites through out the world.
 >>>
 >>> This would make the site developers to bring in the higher quality to the
 >>> net.
 >>> This could be used as an additional criteria in the search engines.
 >>> This could make higher quality sites to be a revenue generator.
 >>>
 >>> With more and more web sites, we r getting lost in finding quality
 >>> information.
 >>

 >>What quality of a web site are you referring to?
 >>Quality of service or Quality of Content?  The latter is subjective.

so is the former.

Yes, but not to the same degree as the latter.
Of course, subjectivity of qos depends on multiple factors, such as data
type, and whether the end user is a human or a computer program.
Quality of audio-visual images presented to a human may be subjective, but
not say, a rocket coordinate which is input to a control program.

(Not that anyone would want to control rockets using the internet :) )

Mahadevan.