Re: Quality task force on web sites

2000-09-11 02:30:02
Hi all,

At 19:52 06/09/00 -0700, you wrote:

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Jon Crowcroft wrote:

In message
<Pine(_dot_)SOL(_dot_)4(_dot_)05(_dot_)10009050848080(_dot_)19012-100000(_at_)thomas(_dot_)eng(_dot_)uci(_dot_)edu>,
 Maha
devan Iyer typed:

 >>On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Barathy, RamaSubramaniam wrote:
 >>
 >>> Hello Everybody,
 >>>
 >>> Would it not be nice to have some sort of quality control task
force that
 >>> assigns a quality level for the web sites through out the world.
 >>>
 >>> This would make the site developers to bring in the higher quality
to the
 >>> net.
 >>> This could be used as an additional criteria in the search engines.
 >>> This could make higher quality sites to be a revenue generator.
 >>>
 >>> With more and more web sites, we r getting lost in finding quality
 >>> information.
 >>

 >>What quality of a web site are you referring to?
 >>Quality of service or Quality of Content?  The latter is subjective.

so is the former.

Yes, but not to the same degree as the latter.
Of course, subjectivity of qos depends on multiple factors, such as data
type, and whether the end user is a human or a computer program.
Quality of audio-visual images presented to a human may be subjective, but
not say, a rocket coordinate which is input to a control program.

(Not that anyone would want to control rockets using the internet :) )

Mahadevan.

On Tue x  x 18xx, Nietzsche wrote:
Understood objectivity not as contemplation disinterested ,that as
such it is absurdity, but as the faculty of having our for and our
against subject to our dominance and the power to separates them
and to assemble them: so that we know to use in profit of the
knowledge precisely the diversity of the perspectives and of the
interpretations born of the affections...How much greater will be >the
number of eyes, of different eyes that we know to employ to >see a same
thing, so much more complete will be our concept of it,
so much more complete will be our objectivity.

It´s not IEFT work to develop filtering or rating services, but to develop
standars wich guaranty people and organizations to develop them and users
to choose and mix them freely.

XX Century was the time for information control monopolies wich drives that
messages like: God want us to Kill the (Jewist, Arabs, Americans,
Vietnams,...) succedd, but now century is ending and PEOPLE MANUPALATION
MUST NOT PROGRESS WITHOUT OPOSITION.

Related with IEFT task, I think that we must find a way to allow,
filtering, rating, diagonalization (reports about your messages),...,
services, and the mix of diferent services on e-mails messages.

As long as we can not imagine all the posibilities, I think that we must
let standars as open as posible, after a study of the security, compability
with actual systems and traffic overload aspects.

Best Regards,
Salva