Re: Mobile Multimedia Messaging Service

2000-09-16 01:30:02
At 14.52 -0700 00-09-15, James P. Salsman wrote:
If there has been no charter proposed for a MMMS working group, I
intend to propose one as follows.

I have no memory of a charter.

Proposed milestones:  The goals of the MMMS WG will include the
publication of specifications, as described above, on the following
topics:  interoperable end-to-end Internet service access on mobile
devices, including descriptions of existing end-to-end wireless
Internet service arrangements; implementation guidelines for multimedia
messaging services on mobile devices using existing Internet messaging
standards; guidelines concerning performance implications of link
constraints, including TCP behaviors during extended periods of
wireless link downtime; and wired PPP access from mobile Internet
devices.

This is too open-ended. I want a more specific list of documents that you are to create, and the list of issues you are to discuss should also say what is _NOT_ in scope of the wg.

My personal interest is not so much in multimedia, but in a discussion on how one should design an application layer protocol (and maybe "how should one use existing protocols, like IMAP") so it works for "mobile" clients.

You should by the way define a "mobile client"...

I felt the discussion at the BOF ended up with "a client which have very limited bandwidth to the network, often connected to many different internet providers, limited memory and screen", or something like that.

  paf