Re: Mobile Multimedia Messaging Service

2000-09-16 05:20:01
patrik,

would it be useful, in the context of establishing peer-to-peer communications
(or even client/server communications) with limited-function mobile devices,
to use SIP as a framework for negotiating the parameters that should guide the
nature of the exchange? I'm thinking, for instance, of a web server that may
usefully discover the functional limits of a mobile before it starts to send
content to that device. The mobile uses SIP to report to the server that it
has X amount of memory, Y amount of display area, color or not, average
data rate it can send or receive, and so on. This information would be used
by the server to configure what it sends to be compatible with the receiving
unit.

perhaps this is an idea that is already being pursued in an IETF working group?

Vint