Re: Mobile Multimedia Messaging Service

2000-09-17 19:00:03
Patrik and I had a rapid-fire in-room discussion after the MMMS BOF in
Washington. I walked away with the understanding that MMMS, or something
like MMMS, would have the same role in the APPS area as PILC has in TSV.

This was a sound-byte, of course, and not a charter, but it made sense to me
at the time.

And, just FYI, there is a certain amount of hand-waving in appendices of the
PILC ERROR document, for instance, about the limits of what PILC can
accomplish without a corresponding effort at the application level. Patrik's
example of application-level stop-and-wait protocols ("enter userid", "enter
password", etc.) shows the kind of interaction that TCP can't fix (if you
wait a full round-trip for an answer before asking the next question and
waiting some more, it doesn't really matter what TCP is trying to do
underneath you, and heaven forbid you are doing this over geosynchronous
satellite hops).

If there was an MMMS, we would definitely hand this text off to MMMS (we're
TSV weenies, after all).

Spencer, PILC co-chair

----- Original Message -----
From: Allison Mankin <mankin(_at_)isi(_dot_)edu>
To: Patrik Fältström <paf(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
Cc: James P. Salsman <bovik(_at_)best(_dot_)com>;
<discuss(_at_)apps(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org>;
<ietf-mmms(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>; <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2000 2:24 PM
Subject: Re: Mobile Multimedia Messaging Service

I think this must be syncronized with the work of the PILC wg. See
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/pilc-charter.html.

Patrik, thanks for drawing attention to this.  Other activities
in the same arena that TSV has going on are ROHC and a proto-working
group (we'll be airing a draft charter for it soon) about end2end
considerations in mobility.  It had a BOF (craps) in Pittsburgh, but the
scope of any WG will be more focuses than the BOF was.

ROHC: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/rohc-charter.html

CRAPS: http://www2.ietf.org/proceedings/00jul/minutes/craps-00jul.txt

Allison

-
This message was passed through ietf+censored(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no, which
is a sublist of ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org(_dot_) Not all messages are passed.
Decisions on what to pass are made solely by Harald Alvestrand.