Re: An Internet Draft as reference material

2000-09-20 08:50:02
  *>
  *> "Lee, Jiwoong" wrote:
  *>    [..]
  *> > 2. A book refers to another Internet Draft.
  *>
  *> Books will cite material either for attribution (it is
  *> important to many people to acknowledge the originators of
  *> a technical idea or proposal) and/or for followup
  *> reading. I-Ds are referenced in books to provide attribution,
  *> and indirectly provide a title or filename upon which
  *> readers can perform a websearch later (to see if the I-D
  *> became an RFC or happens to be archived somewhere on the
  *> net).

Since Internet Drafts are designed and announced to vanish after
6 months (they even carry their own expiration date!), referencing one
in a book seems to be tacityly admitting that the book will be
worthless after 6 months.  Which, one suspects, is probably true
for most books that reference Internet Drafts.

Bob Braden

  *>
  *> cheers,
  *> gja