Re: NAT patent

2000-09-22 01:10:01
Just restating what was commented on in Slashdot: the patent
is on the security, not NAT itself - rfc 1631 is referenced
and thus prior art. christian.

For reference, here is the abstract, copied from
http://www.patents.ibm.com/details?&pn=US05793763__

Application number US1995000552807

A system and method are provided for translating local IP addresses to
globally unique IP addresses. This allows local hosts in an enterprise
network to share global IP addresses from a limited pool of such addresses
available to the enterprise. The translation is accomplished by replacing
the source address in headers on packets destined for the Internet and by
replacing destination address in headers on packets entering the local
enterprise network from the Internet. Packets arriving from the Internet
are screened by an adaptive security algorithm. According to this
algorithm, packets are dropped and logged unless they are deemed
nonthreatening. DNS packets and certain types of ICMP packets are allowed
to enter local network. In addition, FTP data packets are allowed to enter
the local network, but only after it has been established that their
destination on the local network initiated an FTP session.