Re: An Internet Draft as reference material

2000-09-22 11:30:03
I want to second Bob Braden's pithy observation re I-Ds. If they make it through the process and become RFCs (including informational RFCs) then they clearly merit retention and they achieve it, since RFcs are archival. However, many I-Ds do not make it through the process and to archive them may seem to elevate them to a status that they have not merited. I don't mean to suggest that these documents have not value. The next author of a book on the history of IETF standards would certainly find them of great value. But, I don't want to see them cited in some product marketing data sheet, further confusing folks who already are confused by the fact that all standards are RFCs, but not all RFCs are standards ...

Steve