Re: An Internet Draft as reference material

2000-09-20 16:00:03
Bob Braden writes:

If they are worth keeping, they are worth publishing as RFCs.

Would you accept: "If they are worth keeping, they are worth
publishing."  as a restatement?  I would agree with that, as an
off-line, inaccesible archive is not worth much to this community.

Publishing as an RFC, though, I would not agree with.  For reasons
having nothing to do with the stewardship of the RFC editor, RFCs have
come to be taken in ways that no longer reflect their original status
as working papers; too many people will misunderstand the intended
status of a document with that designation, no matter what words we
add to the beginning and end.

                        best regards,
                                Ted Hardie