Re: An Internet Draft as reference material

2000-09-25 10:00:02

Pete Loshin wrote:

The last RFC I looked at, RFC 2917, has two (of four) references to
"work in progress". No, they don't reference specific I-Ds, but we all
know that "work in progress" is a code word for "some Internet-Draft"
and we all probably have no serious problem tracking down that "work in
progress" provided it hasn't expired.

Contrary to popular belief, this phrase predates RFCs and IDs,
and is still used by some people for exactly what it means;
any work which has not been published, but which the author
would like to attribute.

It is always inappropriate to use any such references
for anything other than attribution.

PS - is no one else alarmed by the re-publishing of material
submitted under an explicit agreement for 'removal after 6 mos'?
I know _I_ have not been asked for such permission.

Joe