Re: "Internet Mail Service" spam

2000-09-23 23:40:02

"Vernon" == Vernon Schryver <vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com>
writes:
    Vernon> What am I supposed to understand from these missives, except that
those
    Vernon> responsible should not have subscribed to the IETF's or any network
or
    Vernon> computer professional mailing list?  I've seen very similar
messages from
    Vernon> some of these individuals many times over the last months months
and I
    Vernon> think in one case, years.

  Yes, I brought this up to the IESG last June wrt revising RFC1123. drums
can not for good reasons work on this at this time. In June, I got "attacked"
by Intel's mail server as retribution for posting to the pci-sig mailing
list. (over 45 vacation messages from one posting)
  PCI professionals all seem to that particular mail system.
  That was June. I refrained from posting to the mailing list during July
and August.

    Vernon> There are the 3Com junk, the far too familiar missive from Germany,
and
    Vernon> the 5 "Internet Mail Service" spam.
    Vernon> How about automatically unsubscribing anyone who is so ignorant or
uncaring
    Vernon> to use whatever MUA that adds the "X-Mailer: Internet Mail Service"
header?

  I'm considering simply starting an RBL-type list that lists the IP
addresses of mail system that use such a thing.

]  In San Diego, on the way to N+I Atlanta           |gigabit with big ACLs is[
]   Michael Richardson, Solidum Systems              |    no problem with     [
]     mcr(_at_)solidum(_dot_)com   www.solidum.com              |     PAX.port
1100      [