Re: Topic drift Re: An Internet Draft as reference material

2000-10-01 08:50:02
    Date:        Sun, 01 Oct 2000 11:16:31 -0400
    From:        vint cerf <vcerf(_at_)MCI(_dot_)NET>

  | I think the I-D are explicitly NOT public domain.

As a general rule, absolutely, I agree.   However, drafts that I happen
to write which are WG output explicitly are public domain (they all say
that inside them).   See draft-ietf-ftpext-mlst-12.txt for a current
example.  Or any of the earlier versions of that doc, should you be
able to find them.

As usual, I probably wasn't being very clear in my message.  I referred
only to drafts I submit - I can't speak for what other authors do, or
desire.

kre

ps: the ftpext mlst draft mentioned above also raises the question of why anyone
would want to archive *all* old drafts - not having source material available
has to be a problem to historians, and others.   Having too much of it has to
be just as big a problem.   The only thing that having one of the old mlst
drafts around would achieve for posterity would be to demonstrate that I can't
count beyond 10 ... when someone pointed out that I was unable to count, an
updated draft was submitted with "twelve" changed to "fourteen" which was
really obvious to anyone was what it should have been (except apparently me).