Re: [Re: Standartization of User Input for find\search engines]

2000-10-16 06:40:02

"Vernon" == Vernon Schryver <vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com>
writes:
    >> Alongwith standardizing the way the search engines take the search
query, I
    >> feel that there should also be some standard with regard to specifying
the
    >> context in which a search is being performed.

    Vernon> Let's also require that all natural language query systems use
English.

    Vernon> In other words, there are good reasons why successful IETF standards
    Vernon> have generally avoid user interfaces....No, that's wrong.  It's not
only
    Vernon> the IETF that has avoided successful user interface standards.
Anyone
    Vernon> who's coded with the zillions of GUI toolkits over the years knows
that
    Vernon> "successful user interface standard" is an oxyomoron

  I understand and agree that it is not the place of the IETF to standard
search terms or systems.
  My impression is that would be useful for search engines to have somewhat
standard interfaces (i.e. URLs) for their simple searches. It would be nice
if:
        http://search.<engine>.com/search?format=xml&term=IETF

  caused a simple search of that engine. It would be even nicer if the
results were in a standard form.
  However, I do not see an economic reason why <engine> would want to
implement this.

   :!mcr!:            |  Solidum Systems Corporation, http://www.solidum.com
   Michael Richardson |For a better connected world,where data flows faster<tm>
 Personal: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html
        mailto:mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ottawa(_dot_)on(_dot_)ca
mailto:mcr(_at_)solidum(_dot_)com