Re: [Re: Standartization of User Input for find\search engines]

2000-10-15 21:30:02
Hello,

Alongwith standardizing the way the search engines take the search query, I
feel that there should also be some standard with regard to specifying the
context in which a search is being performed.

Most of the search sites nowdays show how relevant the page is with respect to
the search query, they give a percentage, I think that the end user should
know what was the criteria used in coming up with that value.
And if all the search sites use some standard way of coming up with that
value, it will be all the better.

Regards,
Pragyan.

Levinboim Family wrote:

As far as I'm aware of, there's no RFC\Draft or standard of any kind
at the subject. there isn't even a standard for simple operations like
AND, OR, and NOT, for example, one can search: ietf and rfc  - at one
search engine +ietf +rfc - at another and this is just a simple
search,There should also be a standard mechanism for multiple searches
and complex searches. Please correct me if I'm wrong.I believe some
work can and is needed to be done in the field.any comments? Tomer
Levinboim