Re: whither HTTP?

2000-10-19 18:50:03
At 06:16 PM 10/19/00 -0700, Marshall Rose wrote:
I know some folks are talking about blocks, though that could replace a
lot
more than HTTP:
http://www.bxxp.org

i don't think so. i think that http is as entrenched as ip & tcp, and is
nearly as irreplacable.

the problem, i think, a general lack of clarity as to what http is for.

i'd say that beep is a generic application protocol framework for
connection-oriented, asynchronous interactions.

while http is many things to many people, i don't think anyone would
s/http/beep/ in the previous sentence.

I'm hearing from developers who are looking for alternative to HTTP as a
substrate for protocols, and from others who find HTTP too constraining
even for the uses it has claimed to serve.  Both groups seem to like blocks
when I point them that direction, though I haven't heard of actual
implementation.

Be ambitious - it can be fun sometimes.  I agree that HTTP is entrenched,
but I hardly consider it irreplaceable.  Maybe I've just had too much fun
watching the launch of XML, but I think there's lots of room out there for
significant change.  Maybe not into the Web browser tomorrow, but blocks is
definitely promising for a wide variety of possibilities.

Simon St.Laurent
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML