whither HTTP?

2000-10-19 16:00:02
[This query received zip response on
http-wg(_at_)hplb(_dot_)hpl(_dot_)hp(_dot_)com, so I'll try here]

I recall that at one time there were various thoughts on the table about where
to take HTTP next (e.g. "HTTP next generation") -- i.e. there were various
BOFs held, I-Ds written, and so on.

Larry Masinter noted simply in his "HyperText Transfer Protocol (http) to
conclude" msg to http-wg(_at_)hplb(_dot_)hpl(_dot_)hp(_dot_)com that..

As far as I know, this mailing list will remain open indefinitely for
discussions and clarifications of the HTTP specifications. [..snip..]
In addition, there have been several BOFs for HTTP related activities.

The HTTP-NG work of a couple'o three years ago apparently disappeared for
various reasons (see:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-ng/1999Oct/0005.html)

Are there any nascent post-HTTP-1.1 efforts *presently* lurking about that
anyone cares to mention? Does anyone have a convenient

I'm not necessarily advocating that there should be, I'm simply trying to see
if the HTTP cognoscenti will share what's on their minds, going forward
protocol-wise.

thanks,

JeffH