Re: Will Language Wars Balkanize the Web?

2000-12-06 03:40:02
Claus;

vint cerf <vcerf(_at_)MCI(_dot_)NET> schrieb/wrote:
Incorporating other character sets without deep technical
consideration will risk the inestimable value of interworking across
the Internet. It CAN be done but there is a great deal of work to make
it function properly.

How do I type chinese characters? I can't. So I can't write mail to
someone whose email address contains non-ASCII characters if I don't
already have the address in electronic form (e.g. within a webpage).

Right.

And, if a mailto URL is within a webpage with a chinese character
anchor, it does not matter whether a mail address in the URL
consists of pure ASCII characters or not.

It's worth nothing that my computer could handle the address if I can't.

You properly understand that the current ASCII DNS is already
fully internationalized.

                                                        Masataka Ohta