Re: Example of dns (non) fun iv

2000-12-06 09:50:04
--On Wednesday, 06 December, 2000 10:22 -0500 Dan Kolis
<dank(_at_)HQ(_dot_)LINDSAYELEC(_dot_)COM> wrote:

Dan K says:
1) your right. with your tld .de I assume for the moment you
also speak German. The difference is what you 'try' when a url
doesn't work. If you tried:
http://ßrehct.de
and it didn't work you would probably try:
http://brehct.de

Dan, I suggest that many German-speakers (and even more
automated systems) would probably try, not the above, but
  http://ssrehct.de/
which would, I believe, be the algorithmic rendering of the
non-ASCII character.   And, while this isn't a good example for
a number of reasons (my memory is poor, but I don't recall ever
seeing Eszett at the beginning of a word and am not sure it is
possible), therein lies much of the problem because the mapping
is not reversible unless one infers from the presence in .DE
that German-language mapping rules must apply (a *very* risky
assumption).

     john