RE: Diacritical application in the DNS

2000-12-06 15:40:02
Maybe that's why the marketing guys don't laugh at some of our jokes -- by
the time we get to the punchline, they're planning a campaign to promote the
idea!  :-)

- Ian King (who actually does respect our marketing folks.  Really.)

-----Original Message-----
From: hardie(_at_)equinix(_dot_)com [mailto:hardie(_at_)equinix(_dot_)com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2000 2:00 PM
To: Henning G. Schulzrinne
Cc: Keith Moore; Johnny Eriksson; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Diacritical application in the DNS

Henning wrote:
And they would insist that something like

180.035.069.037

would spell 1-800-Flowers and try to reserve an IP address based on that
name.
--

Believe it or not, the SRI NIC did get at least one request for a vanity
IP address around 1988-89.  As your example notes, they wanted it to

It's awfully hard to parody marketing, isn't it?
                                regards,
                                        Ted Hardie