Reverse DNS problems with HDR/802.11 coverage

2000-12-11 10:10:03
The Qualcomm IP address block (199.106.118.0) that we're using to
support 802.11 coverage at the Hilton and Embassy Suites is missing
the DNS glue records needed to support inverse (PTR) queries.

This can cause some connections from users in that block to open but
hang for long periods of time before a login prompt or server banner
is received. This happens when the remote server does an inverse DNS
query on the incoming IP address for logging purposes and requires
that this query complete (or time out) before spawning the server
application program.

AT&T Cerfnet is working on the problem, and we hope it will be fixed soon.

My apologies for not catching this sooner, as I had modified all my
own servers long ago to not do this brain-damaged inverse lookup.

Phil Karn