Re: Reverse DNS problems with HDR/802.11 coverage

2000-12-11 10:40:03
On Mon, 11 Dec 2000 09:04:47 PST, Phil Karn <karn(_at_)ka9q(_dot_)net>  said:
My apologies for not catching this sooner, as I had modified all my
own servers long ago to not do this brain-damaged inverse lookup.

On the other hand, checking the PTR and A records for an inbound connection
for sanity often reveals a DNS hack attempt.  Or that's the theory anyhow.

Personally, I treat a PTR check as a clue-meter for the ISP involved - if
they have a broken DNS, they're probably lame enough to also be infested with
hackers, spammers, and other low-lifes....

Let the flaming commence ;)
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst