Re: NATs *ARE* evil!

2000-12-17 13:30:03
The vitriol that will be poured on this is from reactionaries
who seek to preserve the indistinction between who and where,

I don't know anyone who seeks to preserve this indistinction;
however, I know several folks who are realistic about the
difficulties of separating the two.

and who seek genetic purity of the network layer (i.e., the address
doesn't change at any border, implying the same protocol in use
everywhere).

again, 'genetic purity' is a gloss over the real and significant
technical justifications for a global network address space -
many of which remain even if you do separate identify from network
location.

if you try to build a global network out of limited-scope addresses
you eventually end up reinventing IP at a higher layer.

Keith