levels of end-to-end; lack thereof

2000-12-19 09:00:03
At 01:08 AM 12/19/00 -0500, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
OK, in that case, we've completely thrown out the end-to-end principle,
... then you shouldn't
be using IPSEC.  You should be using TLS instead.

Unfortunately, the production Internet (ie, since 1983) has never been fully end-to-end at the IP layer. Never.

Arguably it has never been end-to-end at the application layer, either, nor even application-layer data.

Gateways have always been a part of the Internet. We have simply chosen to ignore them, except for the case of email (smtp/x.400).

It's fine to create a clean architecture, but not very helpful to ignore or complain about market-driven extensions (or work-arounds, or...) to it.

Folks -- people would not be making those extensions unless they experienced benefit in them.

We claim to believe that the market is the ultimate venue for resolving choice among standards. We need to acknowledge that that applies to missing standards, as well as competing standards.

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464