Re: NATs *ARE* evil!

2000-12-22 06:30:02

 {I had written:}
| from label switching, so what I'm suggesting is that we take the bull by
| the horns once and for all and run MPLS over IP instead of under it...

an mplsd-like tag fits neatly in the first half of an ipvsux destination
address, although there are other places in the vsux header you can put
tag bits if you're inclined to do so for stacking reasons or whatnot.
this has all the same problems of NAT where there is no end-to-end
namespace that is not TOPOLOGICAL in nature separate from but convertible
between a namespace populated with globally unique IDENTITY names.
(where that namespace can mean single hosts or service locations or whatever,
but not two or more of these things simultaneously! overloading bad.)

        Sean.

The NATty problems also go away when the theme is completed with the
globally unique etc. namespace, with a different topology (but yet
a spanning tree by definition), and the conversion is formally handled
by automatic translation using a context-free attribute grammar distributed
en route, so that the label switched path is synthesised e2e without
having to return addresses to the client application. I.e. no "overloading".

The final architecture one then gets would be that described in
        draft-guruprasad-addressless-internet-00.txt

-p.