RE: International Emergency Preference Scheme

2000-12-22 05:40:03
Harald,

Many thanks for your comments. I have replied as indicated below:

-----Original Message-----
From: Harald Alvestrand [mailto:Harald(_at_)Alvestrand(_dot_)no]
Sent: Friday, December 22, 2000 1:21 AM
To: Folts, Harold; 'ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org'
Subject: Re: International Emergency Preference Scheme

At 13:25 21/12/2000 -0500, Folts, Harold wrote:
In March 2000, the ITU-T established Recommendation E.106, A
Description of
an International Emergency Preference Scheme (IEPS). This
Recommendation
presents the basic requirements for preferential treatment
of critical
communications to support recovery operations from serious
disasters such as
earthquakes and severe storms. While E.106 is based upon
Public Switched
Telephone Network (PSTN) services, considerable effort is underway to
migrate these capabilities to next generation networks based
upon Internet
technology.

note - this effort is focused at recovering the society from
a serious
disaster, not recovering the network, I think.

You are quite right. Recovery operations does primarily mean restoration for
society. However, recovery of network resources is often necessary to
facilitate the ultimate objective.

The first issue of pursuit is to ensure an effective
interface between the
PSTN and IP-telephony services.

this strikes me as a profoundly strange approach, but I may be biased.

I say the first objective is PSTN/IP-telephony interface because in the US
and other countries there are IEPS capabilities built into existing telecom
services. However, the second objective is to expand to establish enhanced
capabilities that become available from Internet technology - e.g. instant
messaging, Email, web access, distributed database, video, etc.

 It is expected that this interface will
touch on a number of work areas in the IETF. Many of the
capabilities and
protocol mechanisms may already exist and need to be
identified and adapted
as necessary. There could also be some areas where
additional work may be
needed. Nevertheless, we expect that coordination and
interaction with
various IETF work areas will be needed to help fulfill the
requirements for
IEPS in next generation networks.

Reactions I've heard vary from "their ideas are just too
broken for words"
to "what they want can be built easily using DiffServ - this
should be a
call for tender, not a standardization proposal".
Clarity of desired outcome may be a Good Thing.

We are approaching this as a cooperative effort with input from a diversity
of interests. I suggest you read the documentation that is available on
http://www.iepscheme.net. Once we have a basic framework to follow, we then
drill down to details and organize the set of solutions as a collaborative
effort.

At IETF 48 in Pittsburgh we had a BOF on IEPS where the
background and
considerations for IEPS were presented. We hope to have
another BOF with
more detailed discussion at IETF 50 in Minneapolis. Two
Internet Drafts on
IEPS have been posted and are available at www.iepscheme.net
along with
other relevant documents.  We also have established an Email List for
discussion of the IEPS issues. You are invited to subscribe using the
instructions provided at the IEPS web site and contribute to
the discussions
and progress of work.

Mentioning the location of the mailing list may not be a bad idea.

The mailing list is ieps(_at_)gsfc(_dot_)nasa(_dot_)gov - instructions for
subscribing are
available on the IEPS web site http://www.iepscheme.net. I hope that we can
continue these discussions on the IEPS list.

Many thanks for you interest and support.

Hal

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
*       Hal Folts
*       Senior Systems Engineer
*       Next Generation Networks
*       Technology and Programs Division (N2)
*       National Communications System
*       701 South Courthouse Road
*       Arlington, VA 22204-2198
*       Tel: +1 703 607-6186   Fax: +1 703 607-4830

-
This message was passed through ietf+censored(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no, which
is a sublist of ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org(_dot_) Not all messages are passed.
Decisions on what to pass are made solely by Harald Alvestrand.

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, alvestrand(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com
+47 41 44 29 94