Re: International Emergency Preference Scheme

2000-12-22 10:30:04
At 07:21 AM 12/22/00 +0100, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
Reactions I've heard vary from "their ideas are just too broken for words" to "what they want can be built easily using DiffServ - this should be a call for tender, not a standardization proposal".

What they want is, in essence, to know that all the tools exist so that they can in fact go out to tender with the service providers. They have identified at least one hole in SIP with respect to their requirements. They believe that they need five call placement priorities. H.323 allows them one, and SIP allows them four. There may be other mismatches.

The absence of an obvious need for protocol development here is why I have not rushed into opening a working group. I suspect that between IPSEC, SIP, and Diff-serv, we are very close, and feel that work placement should happen after the analysis is in. When we have a significant user community that comes to us asking to discuss their specific requirements, I think the correct response is not to flame them, but to do the analysis and help them become clued in.