Re: www.ietf.org advertising isoc

2000-12-27 14:10:02
Lloyd,

There is nothing on the IETF (or ISOC) web site suggesting that ISOC membership
is required, so what is your problem?

Since the ISOC funds the RFC Editor and provides a budget at the
disposal of the IETF Chair, not to mention providing vital
legal insurance, a pointer (which is actually taken from
RFC 2028) hardly seems inappropriate as a minimal acknowledgement.

Truth in advertising: this addition to the web site was made at my request,
of course with the agreement of the IETF Chair.

Brian E Carpenter
Program Director, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM
On assignment for IBM at http://www.iCAIR.org
Board Chairman, Internet Society http://www.isoc.org
Non-IBM email: brian(_at_)icair(_dot_)org

Lloyd Wood wrote:

I see the slightly-updated www.ietf.org webpage is now linking to the
Internet Society. If we're doing banner promotion, I'd appreciate a
nice interstitial page stating that you do not have to be a member of
ISOC to be a member of the IETF, much less have access to the ISOC
member-only pages. Yes, this is mentioned on
http://www.isoc.org/standards/ - a way after the membership blurbs and
the corporate platinum programme, though.

(note the confusion over getting involved in the IETF expressed in
RFC3002. This doesn't help.)

L.

<L(_dot_)Wood(_at_)surrey(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>