Re: Number of Firewall/NAT Users

2001-01-20 15:50:03
Then it seems we will have to create an ever expanding bandwidth to support
all the overhead associated with NAT and these multiple layers.

If not we could wind up with OC-192's that feel like 56k modems :(

Jim McMurry

----- Original Message -----
From: "vint cerf" <vcerf(_at_)MCI(_dot_)NET>
To: "Bernard D. Aboba" <aboba(_at_)internaut(_dot_)com>
Cc: "Jiri Kuthan" <kuthan(_at_)fokus(_dot_)gmd(_dot_)de>;
<ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Saturday, January 20, 2001 2:16 PM
Subject: RE: Number of Firewall/NAT Users

a nightmare it seems to me

At 02:39 PM 1/20/2001 -0800, Bernard D. Aboba wrote:
What is worth thinking about is what this will imply for the future
internet architecture. It is one thing to address issues brought up by a
single well functioning NAT within the same administrative domain. It is
another thing to deal with multiple layers of perhaps not so well
implemented NATs which may not even support tunneling of IPv6.
And that is where we appear to be headed over the next few years.