Re: "redesign[ing] the architecture of the Internet"

2001-02-03 11:30:02
Keith, who does have the right to redesign the architecture
of the Internet, and under what circumstances?

This is a serious question.

and it deserves a serious answer.

While I don't agree with Keith's phrasing or use of the word "right", I do
believe it boils down to a question I'd like to ask (and answer) in
response:

    How does the IETF assert authority to cause changes?

It does so through technical merit.  In as much as most of the standards
have technical merit, people will view the IETF as an authority.  We degrade
that authority when we allow stupid things through the standards process or
when we make statements that are excessively obvious or wrong to the
Internet community (for some definition of community).  I don't doubt for a
second that each and every AD understands this, and takes his or her role
quite seriously.

A scalable attainable (or better yet - demonstrable) technical vision is an
important part of the IETF's credibility, and our standards process is built
around it.  Such power should not be underestimated.

Even so, we as an organization have NO claim on the future of the "Internet
Architecture", whatever that is.  A small group individuals with a cute idea
can have dramatic impact, no matter what the IETF thinks.  Witness WWW and
NAT.

Eliot