Re: "redesign[ing] the architecture of the Internet"

2001-02-04 00:00:04
However, advocating or hoping to deal with NAT
or anything else by appealing to the IETF's change control authority is
worse than a distraction, because people outside The Standards Process
see it as obviously silly and useless.

yes but I was making that argument to folks who *are* inside the IETF,
rather than to folks on the outside.

I agree with you that most vendors don't give a d*mn about who has
change control over the internet standards...most feel quite free
to abuse them (and harm interoperability) at the whim of a marketroid.
NATs are a good example of this, but hardly the only one.

Keith