Re: NAT isn't a firewall Re: harbinger, Re: [midcom] WG scope/deliverables

2001-02-03 13:30:02
On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 10:50:08AM -0800, Grenville Armitage wrote:

Einar Stefferud wrote:
      [..]
had my own home system and discovered that I had no interest in being
totally visible and accessible at all times, especially when I was
not always around to monitor things.

So, now I am very happy behind my little XRouter NAT box, with an ISP
service out there where I can have a login shell  if I wish.

NAT doesn't primarily provide security, a firewall does. A firewall
doesn't have to do NAT. If you dont mind the number of IP addresses
you get from your ISP, install a smart firewall and ditch the NAT
box (or twiddle some config options in your Xrouter... whatever)

Although address obfuscation through combining NAT with your firewall
can provide a small amount of additional security.

...Scott