Re: NAT isn't a firewall Re: harbinger, Re: [midcom] WG scope/deliverables

2001-02-04 11:00:02
Jon, this is a nit, two digressions off the main thread, so I'll take it
off-list.  More mail soon.

...Scott

On  4 Feb 2001 at 17:29 +0000, Jon Crowcroft apparently wrote:

In message
<20010203152752(_dot_)A2124(_at_)localhost(_dot_)co-nectschools(_dot_)net>,
Scott Brim type
d:
 >>Although address obfuscation through combining NAT with your firewall
 >>can provide a small amount of additional security.

against which attacks ? it doesnt provide better privacy, or non
repudation, or access control, or any normal service that one would
regard as an enhancement of security - in fact, having one address
shared by multiple host s means there are less things an attacker
needs to remember :-)

 cheers

   jon