Re: An alternative to TCP (part 1)

2001-02-06 19:30:02
6.  Doing traffic shaping at the network edge is better than on the host
node for
The host *is* the edge of the network.

I'm sorry to have not mentioned that I consider the host nodes, or the end
nodes, are not edges but instead something attaching on network edges. I
consider the very last hub, or the access router which the end nodes connected
to as the 'network edge'. And I'm sorry not to mention that practically  it is
probably better to do traffic shaping at the service provider network edge, for
some reason of accouting, congestion control, or required by
service-level-agreement (I don't think throwing bandwidth at the QoS issue is a
good choice in the near foreseeable future, especially for the enterprise
users.).