Re: An alternative to TCP (part 1)

2001-02-07 01:10:01

In message
<200102070346(_dot_)WAA23042(_at_)astro(_dot_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>, Keith
Moore typed:

I don't agree that abundant IPv6 addresses remove the need for something
akin to a port number.   They might remove the need for transport-level
multiplexing, but only if any host could allocate a sufficiently large
subnet, and it's not clear that this will be the case.  However port
numbers are also used to form names of connection endpoints, and we have
some need for well-known endpoint names to reach standard services.

this is debateable - if we used GSE/8+8, then the route glop could get
you somewhere and the site glop to a machine ,and chaning EID is not
such a crazy idea at all - there have been protocol stacks like this
and there are certain privacy and other security advtangaes (it was
used in a secure ATM proposal i seem to recall fro mcambridge
university computer lab about 7 years ago...)

cheers

   jon