Network Edge definition (Re: An alternative to TCP (part 1))

2001-02-08 04:20:04
At 09:17 08/02/2001 +0100,
joaquin(_dot_)riverarodriguez(_at_)telefonica-data(_dot_)com wrote:
Anyway, I agree with Mr Gao that it will be usefull to have a distinguishing
name for the last network element, something like ONE "outest network element"
or END "edge netework device" or any other that may be chosen.

I think the (layer 3) network edge is inside my computer, where the TCP stacks interfaces to the applications. The layer 7 network edge is even further in.

A much mmore interesting edge is the edge of a control area (where the corporate edge meets the ISP edge, or where the corporate network meets my in-house network, for instance).

Very few things change where my drop-cable plugs into my hub.

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, alvestrand(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com
+47 41 44 29 94