Re: Not developing protocols

2001-02-11 14:50:02
Thought for the day:

"If farmers can be paid not to grow wheat, why can't IETF
WGs be paid not to develop protocols?"

We can.  Just go work for a company that is willing to send you to
IETF on their time & money, and wants you to disrupt certain IETF
protocol work.  I'm sure many of us have witnessed this in action, and
we've probably missed some of the more subtle and skilled efforts.  It
most assuredly does happen.  My epiphany on this subject came during a
session of the HTML 3.0 working group, circa 1994.  I don't think it's
an accident that that WG effort did not produce a standard, although
of course I can't prove anything about anyone's intent at the time.

  --  Cos (Ofer Inbar)              --  cos(_at_)aaaaa(_dot_)org
cos(_at_)exodus(_dot_)net
  --  Exodus Professional Services  --         http://www.exodus.net/
   "We all misuse the net for personal gain, one way or another."
       -- Larry Wall <lwall(_at_)netlabs(_dot_)com>