Re: To whom is ICANN answerable?

2001-02-08 06:30:04
I found this news report of some concern, not because of what ICANN is
supposed to have done or not done, but because it seems there is a
presumption by some that ICANN is answerable to US Congress.  I understood
that the whole purpose of setting up ICANN was to provide Internet
governance that was trans-national, not answerable to US Government.

If you look at the corporate charter and articles of incorporation for
ICANN, it is a California-based nonprofit public benefit corporation.
There is no mention that I can find of ICANN being subject to the control
of laws or policies of any governmental entities outside the U.S.

The prevailing view seems to be "the Commerce Department giveth, and the
Commerce Department can taketh away."

Deep down, the U.S. still thinks it owns the Internet.  Sigh.

Cheers,

RGF

Robert G. Ferrell, CISSP
 Who goeth without humor goeth unarmed.